Tuesday 5 November 2013

I Get SAD (and How I Deal with It)

The spring and summer months are by far my favourite months of the year. The sun shinning down on me is warm and welcoming. Patios are open and everyone just seems happier. 

That's just it. I'm happier in those months. As fall starts to roll around, it gets dark out much earlier and the air is colder. I find I'm not as bubbly as usual. Events that occurred in the summer, that I was able to ignore, are now upsetting me and I can't let them go. I start to question myself. My life. All of a sudden, it feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. All I want to do is cry.

But, this isn't uncommon for me. 

A few years ago, I discovered that I get SAD (also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder). The dark skies and cold weather have a negative effect on me and my emotions. Yet, you may never know this since I'm fine when I'm around other people. It's when I'm alone that I feel like everything is falling apart around me. 

As light therapy is said to be a treatment for SAD, years ago, I turned to tanning beds. Although I was never looking directly at the light being omitted by the bed, I could sense it on me and I drank in the UV warmth. This became a dangerous addiction though and I eventually forced myself to stop. 

Since I've never been willing to be put on medication for this, I had to find other alternatives. SAD makes me feel extremely tired and causes me to gobble down carbs at an unhealthy rate, so I wanted to find something to boost my energy and suppress any potential weight gain. Which is why, last fall, I joined a gym. 

Working out helped keep my energy levels high and kept me in a well lit environment. The health benefits to this are obvious too. 

While there has been no scientific study done to prove that working out helps control SAD, it has certainly been beneficial for me. Although feelings of depression still occur, particularly on gloomy days, my spirit is generally much higher. Which is exactly why my butt is back in the gym now! Being happy and healthy is important to me so I'll do what it takes for it to stay that way. 

Are you effected by gloomy days?
What do you do to stay happy?

17 comments:

  1. I know quite a few people who suffer from this in Canada (haha - probably less people in Florida or something!)...have you tried one of those light boxes that you can sit next to for a bit each day? My cousin swears by hers and I think she got it at your new favourite store - Costco!! I think I am mildly affected by this too...people just need sunshine to thrive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to suggest the light box when I saw that Heather did! I have friends in Alaska who said they would have lost their minds without theirs! SAD is a huge problem in England too. Dark by 3:3-4 pm is just.....horrible. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i absolutely get SAD. i think it's really common. working out definitely helps me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I totally didn't know that Canada got DS too :)..) I'm also so happy I'm not into the only blogger who's NOT into cold weather! I really don't like it when it's dark and gloomy, either, or when there's any kind of precipitation. BUT if I have to be out for school or whatever, I grin and bear it :/... I've been waiting for late Spring next year since the last day of Summer, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually work in a pharmacy and this is extremely common on the west coast where, as you know it rains A LOT in the winter. We don't get snow.. we get the rain.. and with that.. gloomy ass days. The SAD lights are expensive but they work. My mom gets depressed and she has a light that she turns on, like a lizard.. while she reads in the living room and it does help her out. Also, my pharmacist highly recommends taking Vitamin D 1000mcg a day. I'm not 100% sure what the science behind it is, but I know that it truly works.
    I actually have some that I should start taking. I'm indoors with baby girl all by myself all day and then Rob gets home and he's so tired from working out in the am and work during the day, that he barely has a chance to talk to me and eat his supper before he's falling asleep on the couch. I was just beginning to feel sorry for myself yesterday and I bet all I need is a good week's worth of Vit D and I'll be better. BUT- the gym is a great idea too. Those endorphins with get a workin'.. and then good bye SADness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have SAD but mine is in summer not winter...weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for getting back in the gym!! I've never heard of SAD, but now I think I might be affected by it... I absolutely love fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas, but sometimes I get super sad. You know all the sad Christmas songs about how everyone is holding hands and enjoying the holidays and here I am alone?? Yeah, that's me every year lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. you just said the magical words: "I work out". that's what keeps my mood up and i'm prone to (clinical) depression...i don't want to live on meds so i workout to keep my mood up.

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually sometimes can feel a difference in my mood too, and I always blamed it on the weather as a joke...but maybe there's more to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few family members who get this, and my boyfriend does as well, especially since he works nights and then doesn't see much daylight in the winter months. I have heard that light boxes are really effective. I think that healthiness and activity are probably going to be helpful too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post, Alex! Your honest posts are always the best. :) I think it's great that you decided against medication and went towards a healthy way to combat SAD. I do not look down on medication in any way, but I think if people could treat themselves in healthy, more natural ways, then that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Working out is such a good option. What a great idea!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so interesting. I actually think I have a form of SAD too. The darkness makes me never want to leave my house. ever. It really affects my mood too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I want to do is cuddle up in my soft blankets, drink hot tea and eat fruit. Heh, when is summer..?

    ReplyDelete
  15. SAD is so common! Print out a picture of a sun wearing sunglasses and tape it to your bathroom mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously think I have this too. I HATE getting off and it is completely dark, all I want to do is go home and go straight to bed. The other night I was already in my pj's and laying on the couch thinking it was time to go to bed and I looked at the clock and it was only 6:40!! I about died.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that someone is talking about this. While everyone else is pumped for scarves and boots, I'm dreading October. It is always such a gloomy time for me, the dark, the cold, everyone else being so happy for no reason (or pumpkin spice lattes...) I have to try really hard to combat it - I find that opening the blinds and making the bed right when I wake up helps. Seems so small and dumb, and maybe you are clean and do that anyways, but if not, give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for making me smile!