Wednesday 29 May 2013

That Time I... Got a Dog!

If you've been here a while, or if you follow me on Instagram, you've seen a few pictures of an adorable German Sheppard mix. Well, this is the story of how that gorgeous dog came into my life. With mandatory pictures, of course!

Andrew and I hadn't even been together for two years yet when he turned to me and said, "We should get a dog!" Like with most things Andrew says, I humoured him agreed.

"That's a great idea! Maybe in a few years," I responded.

A few weeks later, Andrew picked me up after class and told me he had a surprise for me.

"Oh God, you didn't!" I said.

"We're just going to go see the dog. Not buy it. I promise!" he lied responded.

So, there we were, driving to a parking lot to meet a lady who had an eight-week old puppy (yes, it did kind of feel like a drug deal).

And then I saw it...

First picture of our puppy, ever!
Holy shit, was this little thing CUTE!

This cute little thing was also shaking like crazy. I asked to hold the puppy. The moment I put her in my arms, she stopped shaking. I fell in love instantly!

Now, Andrew had found this lady and her dog off of Kijiji (the Canadian version of Craig's List) and I felt bad that I was considering getting a dog that wasn't from a shelter. I had heard about puppy mills and I wasn't about to help someone who participates in that.

So, I started asking questions.
Me: "Why are you selling your dog?" 
Lady: "Because my husband and I have a baby and my husband is an evil person who wants to get rid of the dog." Andrew will tell you she responded with something else, but I think he was too busy admiring the dog to pay attention. 
Me: "Where did you get the dog?" 
Lady: "I got her from a breeder. She's a Sheppard/Roti mix." Lies. There's no way this dog is part Roti.  
Me: "If we take her, can we have all her stuff. Like, her collar, leash, toys and food?" 
Lady: "I don't have any of that." Red flag number one. What do you mean you don't have any stuff for a PUPPY? 
Me: "What have you been feeding her then?" 
Lady: "Rice." You've been feeding an eight-week old puppy rice?! And JUST rice?! Andrew, grab the dog and let's get out of here!
Every red flag possible went up in my mind and I was determined that I would not be leaving this poor dog with a crazy-lady who only feeds it rice. No wonder the puppy was shaking when I saw it! She was scared of the crazy-lady!

I paid the lady for the dog and got the heck out of there. The first thing we did before bringing our new baby home was take a trip to PetsMart (with puppy in my arms the whole time). There, we spent way too much money on toys, food, pee-pads and everything else she might need.

We brought her home and put her on my desk.

(Uh, people? I just want to sleep. Ktnx.)
Why? Because she was so tiny and it was adorable.

(Ah yeah. That's better.)
Then we put her on my bed to let her get comfortable.

Oh and what did we name her? I wanted to name her Mitzy. Andrew and his brother agreed that was a stupid name and said her name would be Misty. Lucky for them, I liked it.

(This is my blanket now.)
I decided I wasn't going to let her sleep in my bed (and we hadn't gone a dog bed), so I graciously gave her my Toronto Raptors blanket, which she loved!

(I'll take this pillow too.)
When we got her a crate, I put the blanket in it. She was quite happy about that.

(And this one!)
I discovered that she also likes pillows.

And more pictures...

Guard dog. Obviously.
Andrew took this. It's one of his favourite pictures.
She likes planes, just like her daddy.
She loves her mommy.
Proud parents.
He's not strangling her. I swear. 
10-weeks / three years
Oh, and that gorgeous dog? She isn't mine anymore. Confused? Come back next Wednesday for That Time I... Gave My Dog Away.

14 comments:

  1. Ahh now I wanna know why she isn't yours. But she's so precious. I love puppies.

    Also, I nominated you for a Liebster Award today. =))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah what a cliffhanger haha! I need to know! She's too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw what a sweet story! I can't believe some people treat animals like that - rice?! wtf. Looking forward to next week to read the next part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww how sweet! So glad you saved her from that crazy ass nut job. My hubby wants a dog sooo bad. He's been telling me he's just going bring one home one day, and then I threaten him with his life. So far it hasn't happened... I'm not ready for a puppy commitment yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! She's beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh. CUTEST puppy ever!!! how can someone be so stupid as to just feed an eight week old puppy RICE?!!! I hate people! & what a total cliffhanger!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet baby you have! Puppies are so much fun and she's a doll!

    Good for you for noticing the red flags. And I highly suspect a breeder would mix a rot with a shepherd. I can't imagine that, as breeders want to keep the blood lines pure. I suspect there were some strange things going on there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute dog!! We rescued our lab mix back in 2009 and apparently the rescue found him completely abandoned on the street. I couldn't imagine my life without my dog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww how cute is that dog!


    Also I nominated you for a Liebster Award over at my blog.

    xoxo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO GREAT!! I am so happy for you! Dogs are truly the best. I have only had Lois for two months and I cannot imagine my life without her now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a cute pup! so sweet! i wanna know what happened to her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love a good puppy story :)
    Your baby girl is just the absolute cutest!
    And that woman, A CRAZY LADY.
    Rice??? Seriously, rice?! WTF!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for making me smile!