Tuesday 19 February 2013

Long Weekend Just Not Long Enough

"Let me show you a few things;
All pressed up in black and white.
And you're dressed in that dress I like;
Love is swinging in the air tonight."
- Justin Timberlake, Suit and Tie
(Didn't think I'd like that song as much as I actually do).

It's back to work, Tuesday! I hope everyone had a nice long weekend.

Andrew spent most of it studying, while I spent it sleeping in, lounging around, playing video games and cooking.

Andrew doesn't eat beef or pork, so our freezer is full of chicken (and our fridge full of fresh veggies!). I decided to whip up a chicken and rice dish over the weekend, throwing things into it that I found in the pantry. It was actually really good! I'll post the recipe below.

Other than a couple circuits around the airport with Clem and Andrew (followed by a feast at Red Lobster. Fyi, their $18.99 four-course meal is back. Yum!) the weekend was fairly uneventful. Honestly, Sunday was just too cold for me to go anywhere (it was -16 degrees Celsius outside, without the windchill). When the weather starts to warm up, that's when I'll venture outside! In the meantime, here's a picture of us before we took off:


Oh, and Andrew and I watched Silent Hill: Revelations before going to bed one night. Probably not the best idea to crawl into bed right after watching a scary movie; your mind starts playing tricks on you. For the record, Silent Hill: Revelations is a weird movie, that I took too seriously - as a lot of things didn't add up, which caused me to question the TV from scene to scene (I'm not like that when I go to a movie theater, I swear). I think the video game spooked me more.

Now for the recipe (as promised):



  

Alex's Mexican Chicken and Rice

1 lb. ground chicken
1 Tsp. vegetable oil 
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup of medium or hot salsa (depending on how spicy you want it)
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 cup (and a handful) Tex Mex Shredded Cheese
1 cup of rice, cooked

Directions:

Brown the chicken with chili powder and cayenne pepper in large deep skillet, until cooked. Drain any excess liquid.

Push the chicken to the side of the skillet and add oil and onions. When the onions start to brown, stir them in with the chicken.
 
Add salsa, corn, beans, rice and a handful of cheese; stir well. Remove from heat.
 
Top with remaining cheese. Let stand, covered, 5 min.or until cheese melts.

1 comment:

  1. The rice looks good! You certainly had a more eventful weekend than I did. And way to tell me about Red Lobster's feast. Now I want to go.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for making me smile!