Sunday 23 December 2012

Give Me Love Like Never Before

"All I want is the taste that your lips allow."
- Ed Sheeran, Give Me Love
I recently discovered Ed Sheeran's single Give Me Love. I know, I know. It's been out since 2011. But I just saw the video while on the treadmill at the gym. As soon as I saw the video, I fell in love.

First off, the girl who stars in it (Isabel Lucas) is gorgeous (at least in my opinion).

Still of Isabel Lucas in Give Me Love

She's the same girl that made an appearance in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Really, she should have starred in the third Transformers instead of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, but what do I know?
Still of Isabel Lucas in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Pretty, right? Anyway, back to Ed Sheeran. I also found the video for Give Me Love compelling. Basically, Lucas stars as Cupid. She goes around town shooting arrows at people, making them "fall in love" with each other (or to make out with each other). The important thing to notice here is that Cupid isn't bias on gender or colour. Some people have said they don't like the video because it shows people of the same sex making out, but if love is blind, why does gender matter?

It's the end that's most fascinating though as she takes an arrow to herself. After all, if Cupid is making everyone fall in love, how will Cupid find someone to love?

You can watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOjdXSrtUxA

I find the lyrics interesting too. He says:
"Maybe tonight I'll call you,
After my blood turns into alcohol.
No, I just wanna hold ya."
My interpretation of the song is that he's going through a breakup. His blood turning into alcohol means he's had too much to drink and he plans to call his ex when he's drunk. But really, all he wants is to still be with her.

If you download (and by download, I mean buy. Seriously folks, buy the song and support good artists. It's only $1.29 on iTunes) the full version of the song, it's just over 8 minutes long and comes with a "hidden track" which also has some pretty meaningful lyrics:
"A man may drink and not be drunk.
A man may fight and not be slain.
A man may court a pretty girl;
And perhaps be welcomed back again."
I loved Give Me Love so much that I had to listen to the rest of his songs. Wake Me Up is another great hit. I think what I love most about his music is it's not auto-tuned in any way and it's really HIS voice and his emotions that are in it. Wake Me Up is like nothing I've ever heard before. It's almost like a letter he wrote to a girl that he put into a song.
"And now I always been shit at computer games,
Because your brother always beats me.
And if I lost, I’d go across and chuck all the controllers at the TV,
And then you’d laugh at me."
I couldn't help but smile at those lines - since my boyfriend, Andrew, really is shit at video games and my (nine-year-old) brother could probably beat him at any game he challenged him to. But, in the same sense, it's endearing as he says, "And you will never know just how beautiful you are to me."

Oh, and watch the video for Drunk. You can watch that here. Basically, his girlfriend left him and he drinks to take the pain away, leaving his cat as his wingman. It's pretty funny stuff. And if you like Harry Potter, or you can just appreciate lookalikes, watch the video for Lego House here. Rupert Grint stars as a fan obsessed with Ed Sheeran. If you're not familiar with Grint or Sheeran, you may be a little confused with the video. Here's an idea of how similar they look:

Creepy, right?

Seriously, they look eerily alike in the video.

There's nothing like a good song/artist to make my day complete :) Who is your favourite artist and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks for making me smile!